Weather Alert October 2, 2015
Wendell Prepares for Potential Flooding
The National Weather Service is projecting severe weather in the area with potentially slow-moving storms through Saturday, which could lead to flooding in low-lying areas of Wendell. Rain is expected to continue through Sunday with the potential of up to six inches of rain. Low-lying areas could become flooded quickly. A flash flood watch is in effect through Sunday at 8 p.m. With winds gusting up to 25 miles per hour through the weekend, there is the potential for uprooted trees and downed power lines. If you see a downed power line or a potentially hazardous situation, do not approach it; call 911.
The Town has checked vehicles and equipment in preparation of severe weather.
The Harvest Festival has been moved to the Wendell Community Center for Friday and Saturday.
Public Safety Tips if you experience rising water where you are:
- Immediately seek higher ground.
- Do not walk through moving water.
- Do not park in low-lying areas.
- Avoid driving during and immediately after a storm or heavy rain event. If you must travel, do not drive through flooded roadways. Fast-rising waters can wash out roadways, and just one foot of water can float many vehicles.
Follow these tips to help keep yourself and your property safe:
- If you have a stream or ditch in your yard, remove any obstructions, including foot bridges, which may cause water to back up.
- Draw down rain barrels and cisterns to provide storage for additional rain. Remember that for every one inch of rain on a 100'x10' (1,000 sq. ft.) area of impervious surface there will be 623 gallons of run off.
- If you see debris on top of storm drains, remove it only if you can do so safely or call 911.
- Keep your children out of streets and away from storm drains.
Whenever citizens encounter trees downed during storms on roads, sidewalks or other public areas, they should contact the town.
Town of Wendell App
Android and iPhone users can have a handy pocket guide to all things related to Wendell by downloading the Town of Wendell app. designed to provide smart phone users with useful information.
IPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Android users can download the town's free app by searching for "Town of Wendell" on iTunes, in the iPhone app store or Play store.