Use of the Board Room
The purpose of this Policy is to establish guidelines for use of the Board of Commissioners’ room. The Board of Commissioners’ room is a special part of Town Hall, primarily reserved for the conduct of Town Board meetings, formal civic functions of the Board of Commissioners and Town staff meetings. However, this Policy recognizes, and when available, accommodation of special requests by governmental organizations and local community groups.
Priority of Use:
- The Board of Commissioners’ room shall be made available based on the following priority scale:
First Priority: Town Council and official Town Council events
Second Priority: Meetings of the Town Boards, Committees, and Commissions
Third Priority: Meetings called by Town Departments
Fourth Priority: Public meetings by other governmental organizations
Fifth Priority: Local community groups
- The Town of Wendell reserves the right to cancel any booked meeting, up to six hours prior to the scheduled booking time, if there is an urgent need by the Board of Commissioners such as a special-called or emergency meeting [NC GS 160A- 71(b)(2) and NC GS 143-318.12]. Further, the Town of Wendell reserves the right to cancel any booked meeting prior to the scheduled booking time in the event of inclement weather necessitating the closure of Town facilities.
- The Town assumes no liability for displacing such groups or forcing cancellation and will not provide alternative accommodations at other Town facilities.
Room Booking Requests by Local Community Groups:
- Any government agency or local community group wanting to book the Board of Commissioners’ room must submit a Town Board of Commissioners Room Reservation Request Form to the Town Clerk for approval at least one month prior to the booking date.
- Meetings must be held between 8:00 m. and 5:00 p.m. (regular Town Hall office hours), unless a Town employee is in attendance. That municipal designate is responsible for opening and closing (locking) of the Board of Commissioners’ room and the Town Hall outside of regular office hours. See #14 for cost of staff and/or use of equipment after 5:00 pm.
- Equipment in the Board Room is to be operated by Town of Wendell staff unless authorized by the IT Administrator. See #14 for cost of staff and/or equipment after 5:00 pm.
- The applicant must notify the Town Clerk of any cancellation, as soon as known.
- Permission to use the Board of Commissioners’ room does not constitute an endorsement by the Town of the group’s policies, statement or positions, or what is discussed while in the Board of Commissioners’ room.
- Set-up of the Board of Commissioners’ room is the responsibility of the requestor. At the conclusion of the meeting, the requestor is to put the room back to the configuration prior to set-up. No electronic equipment may be altered or moved.
- Board of Commissioners’ room and washroom facilities must be returned to the original condition following use. The users will be responsible for any/all damages to the facilities.
- Use of the Board of Commissioners’ room is at no However, groups that damage or fail to properly restore the Board of Commissioners’ room and washroom facilities shall be charged for the actual cost of the repair of the damage and/or for the janitorial service required to restore the Board of Commissioners’ room and washroom facilities to original condition.
- Under the North Carolina State Building and Fire Codes, the Board of Commissioners’ room may accommodate:
- 131 persons when using row chairs; or
- 67 persons when using tables and chairs
- Any previous policies relating to the use of the Board of Commissioners’ room are hereby repealed
- Staff and/or equipment after 5 p.m. - $35.00 per hour to be paid prior to day of event.