Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below some helpful FAQ information on common planning questions received: 

What is my property zoned?

To determine your property’s zoning designation, click here to access Wake County’s iMAPs GIS. On the right hand side of the page, under Property Search, enter your street address and click the search button.  Once IMAPs has located your property, look at the bottom right hand side of the screen and locate the tab that reads Show Additional Layers. Under the Show Additional Layers tab, locate the subheading entitled “Planning” (the subheadings are organized in alphabetical order). Again, scroll down to locate the final subheading under “Planning” entitled “Zoning,” and check the box (you may have to zoom in on the map for this function to work). Once the Zoning Layer has been activated, the map should display multicolored zoning designations. Each zoning district should be marked with a two or three letter demarcation indicating separate zones (i.e. R2, R3, R4, etc.). For a list of zones please follow this link. For permitted uses please follow this link.

Can my property be rezoned?

Yes, any individual may request for any property to be rezoned. The application is available here. The cost of a zoning request is $500. Requests for a zoning change are reviewed by the Board of Commissioners for approval.

How can I find a quick summary table noting what is permitted, not permitted or permitted with a special use permit for each zoning district in town? 

View the following quick summary table that shows land uses that are permitted, permitted subject to additional standards, require a special use permit or that are not permitted in each zoning district in Wendell: Zoning Districts & Use Table

Am I allowed to have a yard sale sign?

Yard sale, real estate, and special event signs are allowed from 4 p.m. on the Friday prior to the event until 7 p.m. the Sunday after the event. Signs are not permitted to be placed on any public signage, telephone pole, or within the public right-of-way.

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required when a new structure meets any one of the following conditions:

  1. If the structure will exceed 144 square feet.
  2. If any dimension of the structure is 12 feet or longer.
  3. If the cost of the structure exceeds $5,000.
  4. If the structure is an addition to an existing structure (i.e. decks, porches, etc.).

Building permit applications and requirements can be found here. The price for individual permits is set by Wake County.

Do I need a business license to own, operate, or open a business in Wendell?


No. The Town of Wendell no longer requires or issues Business Licenses.

Do I have to get a permit to put up a sign at my business?

Yes. All signs in the Town require a permit. The cost of a sign permit is $30-$60 for a permanent sign and $20 for a temporary sign. The sign permit application form can be found here. Depending on the size of the sign, a building permit may also be required.

Can the Town print a map of my property?

Yes. The planning department does provide maps to citizens and non-citizens for a fee based on product cost and labor.

Does the Town have a Code Enforcement Policy?

Yes, the Town does perform code enforcement within the corporate limits of the Town and the ETJ. For more information on Code Enforcement please click here. The Code Enforcement officer is happy to assist with questions related to code enforcement. 

Is my property in a designated floodplain?

Information on floodplains in North Carolina can be found in this link.

How do I navigate the I-Maps online mapping service through Wake County? 

Please see the following information on how to navigate i-MAPS Help Guide for your individual use. You may also contact us at (919) 365-4448 for questions or tips on how to use i-MAPS. 

How can I obtain a Downtown Facade Grant Program application and/or more information on the program? 

Please view here for more information on this program. The Downtown Facade Grant Program is administered through the Planning Department. 

What are the different ways the public can get involved in planning? 

View the Public Involvement page on the Planning Department webpage for more details. 

How can I contact someone from the Planning Department? 

See staff directory information for the Planning Department here. 

What are the office hours of the Planning Department? 

We are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Please stop by or give us a call at (919) 365-4448. 

What is the fax number of the Planning Department?

The fax number is (919) 366-1462.

Is the Planning Department closed on holidays recognized by the town? 

Yes. You may find information on town hall closings on the town calendar at