The Planning Department is responsible for processing all Wake County Permits within the Town of Wendell. Wake County development guides are available here.
New Residential Structures: Building Permits are necessary when the structure costs more than $5,000, AND/OR the structure is larger than 144 square feet, AND/OR the structure is self-supporting (i.e. deck), AND/OR any one side of the structure is longer than 12 feet in length then a building permit is required. Building permits are required for accessory buildings (detached storage buildings) that meet these size requirements, whether they are built on site or are of a pre-fabricated nature.
Residential Additions: Any addition onto an existing house, such as decks, screened porch enclosures, awnings, attached garages, etc. require a permit, regardless of their dimensions.
Commercial Additions/Alterations: Typically, any commercial alteration or addition requires a building permit. Check with planning department staff (919-365-4448) to find out what your project may require.
If one has further questions about construction in accordance to the North Carolina State Building Code, please call Wake County Building and Inspections at (919) 856-6222 or visit their website located here.
- BUILDING PERMIT PROCESS:
- Submittal of Building Permit Application in Wake County Permit Portal at wakegov.com/permitportal
- Submittal should include building plans and a site plan for residential work and commercial work in PDF form to be uploaded to the attachment section of the permit application in the Permit Portal. Additional documents may be required depending on the project.
- The submitted permit application will be reviewed by Wendell Permit staff.
- Wake County plan review.
- Wake County Fire Marshal plan review (commercial only).
- Wake County permit fee and Town of Wendell permit fee payment, payable in the portal with a redit or debit card or at Wendell Town Hall with a check or cash.
- Town of Wendell zoning set-back inspection (prior to any Wake County inspection).
- Wake County Fire Marshal inspection (commercial only).
- Final Wake County site inspection.
- Town of Wendell Final inspection for issuing certificate of occupancy.
Mechanical Permits are required when installing, altering, repairing, replacing, or relocating any electrical material, an electrical permit is required. For more information about electrical construction in accordance to the North Carolina State Building Code, please call Wake County Building and Inspections at (919) 856-6222 or visit their website located here.
Mechanical Permits are also required when installing, altering, repairing, replacing, or relocating any plumbing, heating/air-conditioning material, appliances or equipment then a permit is required. Plumbing permits are not required for minor repairs or replacements on the house side of a trap to an installed system of plumbing provided such repairs or replacements do not disrupt the original water supply or the waste or ventilation system. If a fixture is replaced, a permit is required and the new fixture shall be inspected. Heating and air-conditioning permits shall not be required for minor burner services, or filter replacements of warm-air furnaces or cooling systems. For more information concerning plumbing, heating, a/c, or sprinkler system construction in accordance to the North Carolina State Building Code, please call Wake County Building and Inspections at (919) 856-6222 or visit their internet website located here.
- MECHANICAL PERMIT PROCESS:
- Submittal of Mechanical Permit Application in the Wake County Permit Portal.
- Wake County permit fee payment via the Wake County Permit Portal.
- Permit will be isued and available to print off from the Wake County Permit Portal.