Winter Youth Basketball
Deadline is October 6th
2022 Master practice schedule for all age groups. Click here
2022 Game Schedules Coming Soon.
|5-6 Basketball Schedules||7-8 Basketball Schedules||9-10 Boys Basketball Schedule|
|11-12 Boys Basketball Schedule||13-14 Boys Basketball Schedule||15-17 Boys Basketball Schedule|
|U10 Girls Basketball Schedule||U12 Girls Basketball Schedule|
Click here to Register: https://secure.rec1.com/NC/wendell-nc/catalog/index
Youth Basketball (Ages 5 to 17 for boys and 5-14 for girls)
I have registered my child for basketball. What happens next?
Once registration has been completed, we will schedule a draft for each age group. You will be notified of the time and location for your child’s draft. If you have a scheduling conflict, please let us know so that we may inform you of an alternate time if one is available. If that time also conflicts with your schedule, it will not affect your child because all registered participants will be placed on a team. 5-6 year olds will not have a draft. They will be divided into teams.
What should I expect at the draft?
Each child will run through a couple of basketball drills. These drills are designed specifically to help the coaches evaluate each child’s abilities in these areas. The draft should take about one hour to complete, but it is very important that your child attend the draft. Our goal is to divide teams as equally as possible to ensure a quality recreational experience for all participants.
What happens after I have attended the draft or if I missed the draft?
Each child, regardless of whether they attended the draft, will be contacted within 5 days of the completion of the draft to inform them of their team name, the coach’s name and when they will have their first practice.
What equipment do I need to provide for my child to play basketball?
No equipment is needed. Wendell Parks and Recreation provides basketballs for all practices and games. We also have cones, spots and practice jerseys for each team to use during their practices. Here are the sizes of basketballs for each age group:
- 5-6 year old co-eds – 26 inch basketball and they play on a 7 foot goal.
- 7-8 year old co-eds – 27.5 inch basketball and they play on a 8 foot 6 inch goal.
- 9-10 year old boys – 28.5 basketball and regulation goal.
- 11-17 year old boys – regulation basketball and goal.
- All girls ages 9 and up will play with a 28.5 basketball and regulation goal.
What does my child get for signing up to play basketball?
The Wendell Parks and Recreation Department will supply each participant with a jersey.
How many practices will my child get?
Since we only have one gym, each team will get 4 to 6 practices. Practices will vary throughout the week and will last 1 hour. Our goal is to schedule each team at least one practice for the week. Practices start the last week of October and run through November.
How many games will my child get?
Each team will be scheduled 8-10 games.
- 5-6 Co-Ed will be played on Saturdays. Times are 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, or 4:30.
- 7-8 Co-Ed will be played every Saturday morning. Times are 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, or 11:30.
- 9-12 Boys will be played during the week. Game times will vary. (9-10 are usually on Mondays and Fridays) (11-12 are usually on Tuesday and Thursdays)
- 13-14 Boys will play home games on Sunday’s. Game times are 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm, or 3:30 pm.
- 15-17 Boys will travel to Zebulon or Rolesville. Home games are usually Sundays at 4:30, 5:30 pm, or Mondays at 8:15 pm.
- Girl’s 10U/12U/14U will play home games Monday – Saturday. Game times will vary. All girls teams will travel to Rolesville, Wake Forest, Knightdale, or Zebulon.
If my child is on a team that travels, where would they travel to?
- Boys - Knightdale, Rolesville, and Zebulon
- Girls – Knightdale, Rolesville, Zebulon, or Johnston County
What do we do in the event of inclement (SNOW) weather?
Our inclement weather policy is that once it is determined by staff that there are any safety issues that would require cancelling a program we will do the following to inform participants: 1) Update the game line (365-GAME) and 2) Call or email all the coaches so that they may contact each member of their team. 3) Please sign up for rainedout.com and get a free text to inform you of snow/inclement weather updates. To get signed up, go to rainedout.com and search for Wendell. Then follow the steps onscreen. If a game is cancelled, we will make every effort to reschedule and make up the game if at all possible.
Does the Wendell Parks and Recreation Department provide trophies at the end of the season?
Wendell Parks and Recreation does not provide individual or team trophies. However, most coaches and parents will choose to do this for their kids on their own. So, you may be asked at the end of your season to pay for your child’s trophy, which vary depending on size. Typically, these trophies will cost around $6.00. Please keep in mind that the sponsor of your team has already paid to have their name on your child’s shirt so, we ask that you please do not ask them for anything more.
What else do I need to know about the basketball program offered by the Wendell Parks and Recreation Department?
The Wendell Parks and Recreation basketball program is designed to provide every child with the opportunity to participate in an organized program that teaches them the fundamentals of the sport in a positive atmosphere. We strongly suggest that all parents support our efforts to ensure a positive experience for all participants. In order to maintain a positive atmosphere in our program, standings are not kept in any of our leagues.