Welcome to Wendell Economic Development
The Town of Wendell, North Carolina has experienced moderate growth in recent years. The Town’s population growth, combined with an availability of land, access to I-87, and proximity to Raleigh, competitively position Wendell as a location for the next wave of development within the Research Triangle Park region. With the recent growth, the Town has become more attractive to young professionals, families and retirees looking for a place to call home with proximity to everything the region offers. With the recent growth, the time is right to develop a new economic development strategic plan. The Economic Development Assessment completed in June of 2019 serves as the basis of the strategic plan.
This economic development plan will serve as a framework for the Town’s economic development effort. The goal of the plan is to build a plan that adapts to trends in economic development, resilient to changes in economic conditions and creates a foundation to ensure a sustainable and long-term growth that enriches Wendell’s economic and tax base.
Click here or the image above to access the Economic Development Strategic Plan
If you don't find something that you need, please don't hesitate to contact us in the Planning Department at (919) 365-4448.
How do I start a business in Wendell?
Contact the Planning Department for more information on how to start a business in Wendell. Visit us at 15 E. Fourth Street, Wendell, NC, call us at (919) 365-4448 or attain information online here.
How can I gain information on incentives available to prospective businesses?
Visit our business incentive webpage here for more details.
How can I connect with the Wendell Economic Development Committee?
Go on the Economic Development Committee webpage here to get information such as committee member information, meeting dates, agendas, minutes, etc.
How can I find information on the Economic Development Strategic Plan for the Town of Wendell?
Visit the Economic Development webpage here.
The following is a list of trusted local and regional partners:
Wake County Economic Development
Official Travel & Tourism North Carolina Website
Wake Tech Small Business Center (offers free counseling & seminars for small business owners)
UNC School of Government: Development Finance Initiative
Town of Wendell business incentive programs and policies:
Large Business Incentive Policy
Wake County Economic Development Incentives
State of North Carolina Incentives
Small Business Resource Center
The Small Business Resource Center will house the following services to provide greater assistance to prospective small business owners looking to expand or relocate to Wendell.
SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCE CENTER SERVICES:
- Small Business Resource Guide - Starting A Business in Wendell
- One-on-one counseling
- Available commercial properties for sale or lease information
- Information on business incentives available
- Downtown Facade Grant Program application & information
- Demographic data available on the town
- Downtown Wendell Brochure
- Forms needed to open a Business in Wendell
- Dedicated assistance with complex questions or issues
- Information on news, resources, training or entrepreneurial opportunities available locally or regionally
- Streamlined small business opening application process
- Connections with local resources such as Wendell Chamber of Commerce and others
- Information on recent development patterns or plans near neighborhoods of business choice
For questions on available information, please stop by or contact us at (919) 365-4448.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
Where will you locate?
- Do you want to build a new structure?
- Do you plan to lease an existing building, suite, or office space?
- Are you thinking about working from your home?
Factors to think about:
- Is the zoning of the location appropriate for the proposed business?
- re there zoning conditions or site plan restrictions on the property where you wish to locate your business?
- Are there building code restrictions within a building, suite, or office space that would limit your business operations?
- Will you need to renovate the interior and/or exterior of an existing building or space? If so, how long will the plan approval And renovations take?
- Will there be enough available parking on-site? If leasing, does the landlord guarantee a certain number of parking spaces per tenant space?
- Are there requirements from other agencies, such as ABC permits for sale of alcoholic beverages or food safety permits/inspections from Environmental Health?