Golf Cart Registration
The Town of Wendell is committed to ensuring transportation alternatives that allow for safe travel along local roadways. Such alternatives are designed to provide opportunities for residents to travel to local businesses, recreational events, or residences in a fun, environmentally friendly way. In order to fulfill this commitment, the Town of Wendell Board of Commissioners ordained that Chapter 24 of the Wendell Code of Ordinances be amended to provide clear definition and guidance to ensure the safe operation of golf carts within the town.
Low Speed Vehicles, as defined under North Carolina General Statute 20-4.01, and as equipped and regulated under North Carolina General Statute 20-121.1, are not subject to this ordinance. Instead they are registered and licensed by the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
Golf Carts that do not meet the Low Speed Vehicle requirements shall be registered with the Town of Wendell prior to their operation on local streets.
Golf carts are required to:
- Meet the size and shape that conforms to the industry standard for golf carts,
- Have rear view mirrors,
- Have Operating headlight(s) and taillight(s),
- Be no taller than 22 inches in height from the road to bottom of carriage,
- Be operated by only non-provision licensed drivers,
- Be registered with and inspected by Wendell Police Department, and,
- Have the registration renewed annually as well as undergo an annual inspection.
If you are interested in registering a golf cart, click here to download a packet to start the registration process or you can pick up a copy of the packet at Town Hall (15 E. Fourth Street). Completed application and payment is accepted at the Town Hall. Once received an officer assigned to this program will contact you to inspect golf cart. For additional questions, contact the Wendell Police Department and request to speak to an officer assigned to oversee the program. We can be reached at 919-365-4444 between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday.