Greenmount Cemetery Location: 536 W. Academy Street and 0 Industrial Drive, Wendell
Cemetery Map: Layout of Cemetery
The Town of Wendell maintains the Greenmount Cemetery, which is located on Industrial Drive near Academy Street. To purchase a grave site at this cemetery, please contact the Planning Department at (919) 365-4448.
The cost of a plot for individuals who live inside the corporate limits of the Town is $1,200, and $2,400, for individuals outside the corporate limits. Each plot includes two grave spots. There is also a $600 monument deposit which must be paid at the time of plot purchase. The monument deposit is held by the Town until a monument is placed. At that time you may request a refund. The Town is now selling plots in new section B.
Anyone wishing to purchase a plot in the Greenmount Cemetery should be prepared to provide the following information:
- Name and address of the individual purchasing the plot
- Mailing Address where the cemetery deed should be mailed
- Phone number
- Name of those who will be buried in the two grave spots (if known at the time of purchase)
- Internment date for any individual to be buried within the plot purchased (if known at the time of purchase)
- Preferred plot number (Schedule a visit with Wendell Planning staff to tour the plots available at Greenmount Cemetery)
(a) In the new section of the cemetery, an appropriate grave marking shall be installed within six months after the burial. If an appropriate grave marker is not installed within six months of the burial, the town shall utilize the deposit provided in accordance with section 8-50(b) of the Code of Ordinances to install the grave marker.
(b) All grave markers in the new section of the cemetery shall be ground level unless otherwise specified by section 8-82. Funeral home markers may be used to identify a grave, but shall be considered temporary markers and shall not be allowed to remain on any lot for more than 180 days after interment. The town reserves the right to remove any temporary grave marker 180 days after interment.